Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Before and After: The Fava

Fava beans are good.  I like them in in stews, soups, stir-fry, burgers - they are just so multi-purpose.  Even though we eat them all the time, I buy them either in a jar or frozen (left).

On our last visit to Hicham's parent's home, his mom made a delicious dish including a bean that I could not recognize.  When I found out, it was my beloved fava, I almost farted with surprise.  Thing is, they were fresh fava and they tasted completely different than I was used to.


I pressed for more info.  Yes, I could buy them at a local farmer's market.  And goodness knows, Paris is full of them.  I was decided, I would simply go to the market and get some.  But the bean dish was perhaps the only good thing that actually happened during that disaster filled weekend - that I forgot all about it.

Fast forward several weeks.  Hicham went to the store to pick up a few things.  He returned with these enormous green beans.  What the hell?  The little weight and price ticket informed me that they were in fact, FAVA beans!  I don't know what I expected them to look like fresh.  But definitely not that.









Before and After Photo:
The giant bean shell can contain only one bean as seen in this picture.  Though generally it does produce about 3-5 beans.  That entire large red bowl is full of the shells.  It produced exactly one cup of beans.



Artsy shot of Fava.

No comments: