Thursday, May 5, 2011

Extra Good Oatmeal.

Well, since it does have the word 'kitchen' in it, there is some implication of cooking from my blog's title.  I do really love spending time in the kitchen, yes even cleaning actually.  Put on some music and do my thing.  Whatever that thing is, there is a sense of accomplishment at the end.  Whether it is soup,  a loaf of banana bread or all the dishes done - there is a beginning and an end.  That is nice.

So, I am not going to add recipes everyday, but when the mood strikes.  The mood has struck today and anyway, Sabine is busy right now.

She is in her room doing her thing and we have big plans today to go to the American Library of Paris when she emerges.   I don't particularly like to disturb Sabine when she is in play zone by herself.  I want to encourage alone time and that means I don't go into her room or check on her while she is in there.  It is a completely child friendly zone and with the exception of the dirty cloth diaper bin (with lid) there is nothing she can't touch.

My recipe of the when I feel like it is called:

Extra Good Oatmeal:
2 cups of steel cut oats (NOT instant)
1 cup water
2 cups apple sauce
1 cup finely shredded carrots
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon

overly mashed banana for extra sweetness (optional)
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (optional)
1/4 cup wheat germ (optional)
1/4 cup ground flax seed (optional) 
also: walnuts, coconut, apple pieces, blueberries, anything really!

It is tricky making oatmeal look as good as it tastes in a picture.
Cook on low to medium for about 5 minutes - stirring frequently. If you prefer mushier consistency then 10 minutes would be better.  Because there are raisins, carrots and applesauce, there is no need to add refined, processed white sugar. 

Top with yogurt and almonds if you want.

Believe me when I tell you, unless you are gluten intolerant, this breakfast will make you feel good!  And keep you going for a long time. 

1 comment:

Lizzie D. said...

Thanks! I never thought of adding brown rice. I'll definitely be cooking up a batch this weekend!